Academic Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Academic Catalog 2013-2014
Mission of the University System
Wayland Baptist University exists to educate students in an academically challenging, learning-focused and distinctively Christian environment for professional success and service to God and humankind.
Welcome to Wayland
For more than a century, Wayland Baptist University has been providing an academically superior education taught within the dynamic and vibrant context of faith in Christ. Wayland teaches and touches students around the whole world and the unique, family-like atmosphere and identity of Wayland can be found at each and every location.
Educational and personal opportunities continue to grow and expand at the university. Permit me to share just a few examples of the ways in which Wayland is flourishing.
- Wayland Baptist University had a record student enrollment this past school year.
- Our recently created School of Nursing continues to grow and expand.
- The online educational experience offered through Wayland’s virtual campus is larger than ever before.
- A number of our degrees are also now entirely available through our virtual campus program, and new online programs are being continually developed.
- The faith-based commitment of the university is seen in meaningful, substantive and life-changing opportunities for our students, faculty and staff through programs like Baptist Student Ministries and the Wayland Missions Center.
- The Welch Foundation student research program has now been functioning for several years under the direction of our School of Math and Science.
- A new men’s dorm which will house 350 students is complete.
- Swimming and diving are being added to the competitive sports offerings.
As you can see, Wayland is an exciting place to be.
A university’s catalog is a very important document. It is, in effect, a road map for success in college. Students, faculty and staff will all benefit from an in-depth familiarity with this document and its guidelines. I hope you will use this resource regularly to plan and dream, evaluate and refocus.
Have a wonderful school year.
Paul Armes, Ph.D.
President, Wayland Baptist University
Affiliation and Accreditation
Wayland Baptist University is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. Wayland Baptist University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, and master’s levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 in order to (1) learn about the accreditation status of the institution, (2) file a third-party comment at the time of the institution’s decennial review, or (3) file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. Normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to the institution and not to the Commission’s office. The university is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. The university is also accredited by the Texas Education Agency for teacher certification and for veterans training, the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, and the Texas Board of Nursing.