Apr 07, 2020
Bachelor of Arts Degree/Certification Requirements
The University General Education Core
Fine Art course
Three hours from:
- ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 should be taken within first year of enrollment.
- HIST 2301 and HIST 2302 are required for teacher certification.
- Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist institutions to meet the core requirement in any Wayland degree. If a student has taken RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History and/or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, at any institution except other Baptist institutions, then the student has two options to meet the core requirement: (1) take RLGN 1301 and/or RLGN 1302 at Wayland or (2) take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4316 , RLGN 4317 , or RLGN 4318 in lieu of RLGN 1301 ; and/or take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4320 , RLGN 4322 , or RLGN 4324 in lieu of RLGN 1302 . RLGN 4306 may be an option for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 as stated above, but may not count for both on the same degree plan. No other RLGN/RLED courses may substitute for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 . The Dean of the School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy. RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, taken at non-Baptist institutions, may be transferred as elective credit with approval of the Dean of the School of Religion and Philosophy and the Registrar.
- Courses marked with an * in the course description section maybe used to fulfill this requirement. Students who have served two or more years in the Armed Forces are exempt from EXSS requirements with DD-214 from basic training.
B.A. General Education Core Course Requirements
- EDIT 2310 - Technology in the Classroom 3 hrs 1
- Science (life or physical science - whichever not fulfilled in the University Core) 3-4 hrs 2
- Foreign Language 23013 3 hrs
- Foreign Language 2302 3 hrs
4 Three hours from:
- Students pursuing fields in education should take EDIT 2310 .
- Students pursuing middle school education are required to take the course with a lab. ENVS 3301 can be used to fulfill the life science degree specific core requirement. GEOG 1301 may be used to fulfill the physical science degree specific core requirement.
- Adequate prerequisite must be met before enrolling in a foreign language 2301 course. Prerequisite courses taken will be used as electives for the degree.
- Fine Arts area must be different from area used in the university core curriculum requirement.
Major (Teaching Field)
Students pursuing certification programs must complete a major in the discipline they wish to teach. The major requires the completion of at least 30 semester hours in the discipline. At least 15 semester hours in the teaching field must be in upper-level courses. Professional education courses will become the minor for teaching certification.
Requirements for Art Major
In addition to the General Education Core for the BA, the major in visual art includes 36 semester hours, of which 18 must be from upper-level courses. Courses required for a major in visual art include:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Bachelor of Arts in Art Recommended Sequence of Courses - listed is the recommended rotation based on a B.A. degree program. For complete information on the general education and graduation requirements for the B.A. degree program, please refer to the undergraduate programs section of the catalog.
Freshman Year Fall Semester:
Freshman Year Spring Semester:
Sophomore Year Fall Semester:
Sophomore Year Spring Semester:
Junior Year Fall Semester:
Junior Year Spring Semester:
Senior Year Fall Semester:
Senior Year Spring Semester:
* Adequate prerequisites must be met before attempting 2301. It is required that student take 1401 and 1402 in prior semesters.