University General Education Core Curriculum - 43 hrs
The University General Education Core Curriculum is applied to all degrees at Wayland Baptist University with the exception of the Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.), Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) and the Bachelor of Christian Ministry (B.C.M.) degrees. The full general education core curriculum for these degrees can be found in the degree specific general education core curriculum section.
Communications - 3 hrs from:
- COMS 1301 - Speech Communication 3 hrs , COMS 1303 - Professional Communication 3 hrs, COMS 2302 - Communication in the Classroom 3 hrs, or COMS 2303 - Public Speaking 3 hrs 1
English - 9 hrs:
- ENGL 1301 - Composition and Rhetoric 3 hrs 2, ENGL 1302 - Composition and Reading 3 hrs 2, and a literature course 3 hrs
Behavioral/Social Science - 3 hrs from:
- ECON 2307 - Principles of Macroeconomics 3 hrs 3, EDUC 2307 - Child and Adolescent Development 3 hrs4, GEOG 1301 - Introduction to Physical Geography 3 hrs, GEOG 1302 - World and Regional Geography 3 hrs, PHIL 1301 - Introduction to Philosophy 3 hrs, PSYC 1301 - General Psychology 3 hrs 5, or SOCI 1301 - Introduction to Sociology 3 hrs
Fine Arts6 - 3 hrs from:
- ART 1301 - Art Appreciation 3 hrs , ART 2301 - Visual Arts for the School Teacher 3 hrs, or studio course 3 hrs; MUSI 1301 - Fundamentals of Music 3 hrs, MUSI 1303 - Music Appreciation 3 hrs, MUSI 3304 - World Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3305 - American Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3306 - Jazz 3 hrs, MUSI 3307 - American Film Music 3 hrs, or performing ensemble 3 hrs; or THEA 1303 - Introduction to Theatre 3 hrs; or FNAR 2401 - Fine Arts in the Elementary School
Mathematics - 3 hrs
- MATH 1304 - College Algebra 3 hrs or higher
Science - 4 hrs:
- Laboratory Science7, 11 (life science or physical science course)
History - 6 hours from:
- HIST 1303 - World Civilization to 1500 3 hrs and HIST 1304 - World Civilization since 1500 3 hrs; or HIST 2301 - United States History to 1877 3 hrs8 and HIST 2302 - United States History since 1877 3 hrs8
Religion - 6 hrs:
- RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1303 - Old Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs 9 and RLGN 1302 - New Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1304 - New Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs9
Political Science - 3 hrs:
- POLS 2301 - American Government 3 hrs
Exercise & Sport Science - 2 hrs:
- EXSS courses10
- UNIV 1100 - Foundations of University Life 1 hrs or UNIV 1101 - Foundations of University Life 1 hr
- GRAD 0001 - Senior Seminar 0 hrs
- COMS requirement may differ by degree. The B.S.N. specifies COMS 1301 or higher. Students pursuing teacher certification should take COMS 2302 .
- ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 should be taken within first year of enrollment.
- ECON 2307 cannot be used for students pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
- EDUC 2307 is required for teacher certification.
- PSYC 1301 is required for students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Fine Arts requirements for the B.S.N. specifies ART 1301 or higher or MUSI 1303 or higher. The B.M. and B.A. in Music degrees specifies ART 1301 or studio course or THEA 1303 . The B.F.A. in Theatre specifies ART 1301 , ART 2301 , or studio art. The B.S.I.S. EC-6 degree can take FNAR 2401 .
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing students must take BIOL 3410 to meet this requirement.
- HIST 2301 and HIST 2302 are required for teacher certification.
- Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist institutions to meet the core requirement in any Wayland degree. If a student has taken RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History and/or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, at any institution except other Baptist institutions, then the student has two options to meet the core requirement: (1) take RLGN 1301 and/or RLGN 1302 at Wayland or (2) take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4316 , RLGN 4317 , or RLGN 4318 in lieu of RLGN 1301 ; and/or take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4320 , RLGN 4322 , or RLGN 4324 in lieu of RLGN 1302 . RLGN 4306 may be an option for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 as stated above, but may not count for both on the same degree plan. No other RLGN/RLED courses may substitute for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 . The Dean of the School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy. RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, taken at non-Baptist institutions, may be transferred as elective credit with approval of the Dean of the School of Religion and Philosophy and the Registrar. RLGN 1303 (OT maj/min) and RLGN 1304 (NT maj/min) are required for all Religion, Religious Education, or Intercultural Missions majors and minors to meet the requirement of RLGN 1301 and RLGN 1302 . This does not apply to B.C.M. or B.A.S. degrees.
- B.S. degree requires EXSS 1112 and one activity course. Courses marked with an * in the course description section may be used to fulfill this requirement. Students who have served two or more years in the Armed Forces are exempt from EXSS requirements with DD-214 from basic training.
- Life science includes Biology and Environmental Science courses. Physical science includes Chemistry, Geology and Physics courses.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree - Honors Degree Specific General Education Core Course Requirements - 24-25 hrs
In addition to the University Core Curriculum, students must complete the following degree speciﬁc general education core requirements for the B.F.A. Honors degree:
- COSC 2311 - Computer Applications 3 hrs 1, MUSI 3302 - Music Technology 3 hrs1, or EDIT 2310 - Technology in the Classroom 3 hrs 1
- Science (life or physical science - whichever not fulfilled in the University Core)2 3-4 hrs
- Foreign Language 2301 3 and 2302 6 hrs
- Fine Art4 (ART 1301 , ART 2301 , or studio course; MUSI 1301 , MUSI 1303 , MUSI 3304 , MUSI 3305 , MUSI 3306 , or performing ensembles; or THEA 1303 ) or ENGL 2301 , ENGL 2302 , or ENGL 2303 3 hrs
- Honors Seminars 9 hrs
- Students may opt to test out of COSC 2311 ; see course description. B.F.A. of Theatre should take MUSI 3302 .
- Science can be lab or non-lab for the degree speciﬁc core. Students pursuing middle school education are required to take the course with a lab. ENVS 3301 can be used to fulﬁll the life science degree speciﬁc core requirement.GEOG 1301 may be used to fulﬁll the physical science degree speciﬁc core requirement.
- Adequate prerequisite must be met before enrolling in a foreign language 2301 course. Prerequisite courses taken will be used as electives for the degree.
- Fine Arts area must be different from area used in the university core curriculum requirement.