Nov 15, 2018
Bachelor of Christian Ministry Degree Specific General Education Core Course Requirements - 44 hrs
The Bachelor of Christian Ministry Degree (B.C.M.) is a minimum 124-semester hour degree designed to afford both academic and professional depth for individuals who possess recognized competence in a ministry. The degree integrates university degree requirements with appropriate experience. A minimum of 36 semester hours must be upper-level credit (courses numbered 3000 and above). This degree is designed for those who come into the degree with experience in the churches or other related ministry. Components of the Bachelor of Christian Ministry degree include:
English - 6 hrs:
- ENGL 1301 - Composition and Rhetoric 3 hrs 1 and ENGL 1302 - Composition and Reading 3 hrs1
History - 6 hrs from:
- HIST 1301 - Western Civilization to 1648 3 hrs and HIST 1302 - Western Civilization since 1648 3 hrs; -OR- HIST 1303 - World Civilization to 1500 3 hrs and HIST 1304 - World Civilization since 1500 3 hrs; -OR- HIST 2301 - United States History to 1877 3 hrs and HIST 2302 - United States History since 1877 3 hrs
Mathematics - 3 hrs:
- MATH 1304 - College Algebra 3 hrs - OR - higher
Exercise and Sport Science - 3 hrs:
- EXSS courses2
Religion - 6 hrs:
- RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History 3 hrs 3 and RLGN 1302 - New Testament History 3 hrs3
Science - 3 hrs:
- Science course 3 hrs
Political Science - 3 hrs:
- POLS 2301 - American Government 3 hrs
Communication - 3 hrs from:
- COMS 1301 - Speech Communication 3 hrs , COMS 1303 - Professional Communication 3 hrs, COMS 2302 - Communication in the Classroom 3 hrs, or COMS 2303 - Public Speaking 3 hrs
Computer Applications - 3 hrs:
- COSC 2311 - Computer Applications 3 hrs 4
Additional Requirements - 8 hrs:
- Math/Science/Language5 3 hrs
- Math/Science/Language5 3 hrs
- BASC 1200 - Best Achievement Strategies for College 2 hrs -OR- BASC 1201 - Best Achievement Strategies for College 2 hrs
- GRAD 0001 - Senior Seminar 0 hrs
- ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 should be taken within first year of enrollment.
- Students who have served two or more years in the Armed Forces are exempt from the EXSS requirement with DD-214 from basic training.
- Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist institutions to meet the core requirement in any Wayland degree. If a student has taken RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History and/or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, at any institution except other Baptist institutions, then the student has two options to meet the core requirement: (1) take RLGN 1301 and/or RLGN 1302 at Wayland or (2) take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4316 , RLGN 4317 , or RLGN 4318 in lieu of RLGN 1301 ; and/or take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4320 , RLGN 4322 , or RLGN 4324 in lieu of RLGN 1302 . RLGN 4306 may be an option for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 as stated above, but may not count for both on the same degree plan. No other RLGN/RLED courses may substitute for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 . The Dean of the School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy. RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, taken at non-Baptist institutions, may be transferred as elective credit with approval of the Dean of the School of Religion and Philosophy and the Registrar.
- Students may opt to test out of COSC 2311 ; see course description.
- Remedial level courses may not be used to fulfill the mathematics requirement. Equivalents to MATH 1300 may be used.
Students seeking the B.C.M. degree will complete the appropriate major requirements as outlined in the School of Religion and Philosophy section.
Experiential Professional Development
The experiential professional development component consists of 12 semester hours designed to provide practical experience as an integral part of the student’s career development. Students who have work experience in part-time or bi-vocational ministry positions may have the work experience evaluated if the ministry position is a paid staff position with formal job requirements. Upper level electives will be used to meet the experiential professional development requirement in cases where work experience is lacking. Practicums and internships may be placed in this area if they do not relate to the major.
The Professional Development component of the BCM consists of 24 semester hours selected to provide depth or breadth to the major and to provide substantive developmental knowledge for the student’s career or personal goals. The Professional Development component includes the following courses if the student is receiving BGCT ministerial financial assistance:
Students may complete the minimum of 124 semester hours required for the degree with courses which complement or extend career preparation or pursue subject fields which hold special appeal. However, before using elective semester hours, students should check with their advisor to ensure that the hours are indeed elective and that upper-level semester hour requirements for graduation are being met.
Christian Ministry Course Requirements - 36 hrs
(36 semester hours) *Six hours are part of the university general education core curriculum) - Required courses for the B.C.M. include the following:
Three hours from:
(students receiving BGCT ministerial ﬁnancial assistance are required to take RLED 3309 /RLGN 3309 )