The B.F.A. in Theatre - Musical Theatre degree is for students seeking a more pre-professional approach to their academic career. This degree offers an emphasis in Musical Theatre. There will be no need for a minor to graduate with this degree, but electives will be needed to meet the upper-division graduation requirement. Students are required to audition for admittance into the BFA program.
University General Education Core Curriculum - 44 hrs
The University General Education Core Curriculum is applied to all degrees at Wayland Baptist University with the exception of the Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.), Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) and the Bachelor of Christian Ministry (B.C.M.) degrees. The full general education core curriculum for these degrees can be found in the degree specific general education core curriculum section.
Communications - 3 hrs from:
- COMS 1301 - Speech Communication 3 hrs , COMS 1303 - Professional Communication 3 hrs, COMS 2302 - Communication in the Classroom 3 hrs, or COMS 2303 - Public Speaking 3 hrs 1
English - 9 hrs:
- ENGL 1301 - Composition and Rhetoric 3 hrs 2, ENGL 1302 - Composition and Reading 3 hrs 2, and a literature course 3 hrs
Behavioral/Social Science - 3 hrs from:
- ECON 2307 - Principles of Macroeconomics 3 hrs 3, EDUC 2307 - Child and Adolescent Development 3 hrs4, GEOG 1301 - Introduction to Physical Geography 3 hrs, GEOG 1302 - World and Regional Geography 3 hrs, PHIL 1301 - Introduction to Philosophy 3 hrs, PSYC 1301 - General Psychology 3 hrs 5, or SOCI 1301 - Introduction to Sociology 3 hrs
Fine Arts6 - 3 hrs from:
- ART 1301 - Art Appreciation 3 hrs , ART 2301 - Visual Arts for the School Teacher 3 hrs, or studio course 3 hrs; MUSI 1301 - Fundamentals of Music 3 hrs, MUSI 1303 - Music Appreciation 3 hrs, MUSI 3304 - World Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3305 - American Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3306 - Jazz 3 hrs, MUSI 3307 - American Film Music 3 hrs, or performing ensemble 3 hrs; THEA 1303 - Introduction to Theatre 3 hrs, THEA 2307 - Acting I , or THEA 3308 - Film and Theatre 3 hrs; ENGL 3330 - Introduction to Film 3 hrs; or FNAR 2401 - Fine Arts in the Elementary School
Mathematics - 3 hrs
- MATH 1303 - Mathematics for Liberal Arts 3 hrs , MATH 1304 - College Algebra 3 hrs12, or higher
Science - 4 hrs:
- Laboratory Science7, 11 (life science or physical science course)
History - 6 hours from:
- HIST 1301 - Western Civilization to 1648 3 hrs or HIST 1303 - World Civilization to 1500 3 hrs AND HIST 1302 - Western Civilization since 1648 3 hrs or HIST 1304 - World Civilization since 1500 3 hrs; or HIST 2301 - United States History to 1877 3 hrs8 and HIST 2302 - United States History since 1877 3 hrs8
Religion - 6 hrs:
- RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1303 - Old Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs 9 and RLGN 1302 - New Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1304 - New Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs9
Political Science - 3 hrs:
- POLS 2301 - American Government 3 hrs
Exercise & Sport Science - 2 hrs:
- EXSS courses10
Additional Requirements - 2 hrs:
- BASC 1200 - Best Achievement Strategies for College 2 hrs or BASC 1201 - Best Achievement Strategies for College 2 hrs
- GRAD 0001 - Senior Seminar 0 hrs
- COMS requirement may differ by degree. The B.S.N. specifies COMS 1301 or higher. Students pursuing teacher certification should take COMS 2302 .
- ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 should be taken within first year of enrollment.
- ECON 2307 cannot be used for students pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
- EDUC 2307 is required for teacher certification.
- PSYC 1301 is required for students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Fine Arts requirements for the B.S.N. specifies ART 1301 or higher or MUSI 1303 or higher. The B.M. and B.A. in Music degrees specify ART 1301 , ART studio course, THEA 1303 , THEA 2307 , or THEA 3308 . The B.F.A. in Theatre specifies ART 1301 , ART 2301 , or studio art. The B.S.I.S. EC-6 degree can take FNAR 2401 .
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing students must take BIOL 3410 to meet this requirement.
- HIST 2301 and HIST 2302 are required for teacher certification.
- Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist institutions to meet the core requirement in any Wayland degree. If a student has taken RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History and/or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, at any institution except other Baptist institutions, then the student has two options to meet the core requirement: (1) take RLGN 1301 and/or RLGN 1302 at Wayland or (2) take THST 4310 , THST 4311 , THST 4312 , THST 4313 , or THST 4320 in lieu of RLGN 1301 ; and/or take THST 4320 , THST 4321 , THST 4322 , or THST 4323 in lieu of RLGN 1302 . THST 4320 may be an option for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 as stated above, but may not count for both on the same degree plan. No other THST/MNST courses may substitute for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 . The Dean of the School of Christian Studies must approve any exception to this policy. RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, taken at non-Baptist institutions, may be transferred as elective credit with approval of the Dean of the School of Christian Studies and the Registrar. RLGN 1303 and RLGN 1304 are required for the Theological Studies major and all School of Christian Studies minors to meet the requirement of RLGN 1301 and RLGN 1302 . This does not apply to the B.A.S. degree.
- B.S. degree requires EXSS 1112 and one activity course. B.F.A. in Theatre does not require EXSS courses due to activity requirements in major. Courses that can be used to fulfill this requirement include a statement to that affect in the course description. Students who have served two or more years in the Armed Forces are exempt from EXSS requirements with DD-214 from basic training.
- Life science includes Biology and Environmental Science courses. Physical science includes Chemistry, Geology and Physics courses.
- Students pursuing the B.B.A., B.S., or B.S.I.S. degrees or teacher certification are required to take MATH 1304 .
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Specific General Education Core Course Requirements - 15-16 hrs
The Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree (B.F.A.) is a minimum 124-semester hour degree. A minimum of 42 semester hours must be upper-level credit (courses numbered 3000 and above). Because of the nature of the degree, it includes additional study in the fine arts and in foreign language. These additional requirements are included in the degree specific general education core. In addition to the University Core Curriculum, students must complete the following degree specific general education core requirements for the B.F.A. degree:
- COSC 2311 - Computer Applications 3 hrs 1, MUSI 3302 - Music Technology 3 hrs1, or EDIT 2310 - Technology in the Classroom 3 hrs1
- Science (life or physical science - whichever not fulfilled in the University Core)2 3-4 hrs
- Foreign Language 23013 and 2302 6 hrs
- Fine Art4 (ART 1301 - Art Appreciation 3 hrs, ART 2301 - Visual Arts for the School Teacher 3 hrs, or studio course 3 hrs; MUSI 1301 - Fundamentals of Music 3 hrs, MUSI 1303 - Music Appreciation 3 hrs, MUSI 3304 - World Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3305 - Music in American Culture 3 hrs, MUSI 3306 - History of Jazz 3 hrs, MUSI 3307 - American Film Music 3 hrs, or performing ensembles; THEA 1303 - Introduction to Theatre 3 hrs, THEA 2307 - Acting I 3 hrs, or THEA 3308 - Film and Theatre 3 hrs; or ENGL 3330 - Introduction to Film 3 hrs) or ENGL 2301 - English Literature 3 hrs, ENGL 2302 - American Literature 3 hrs, or ENGL 2303 - World Literature 3 hrs
- Students may opt to test out of COSC 2311 ; see course description. B.F.A. of Theatre should take MUSI 3302 .
- Science can be lab or non-lab for the degree specific core. ENVS 3301 can be used to fulfill the life science degree specific core requirement. GEOG 1301 may be used to fulfill the physical science degree specific core requirement.
- Prerequisite of 1401 and/or 1402 (in a single language) may be required and used as electives toward the degree. Placement testing is available; contact the School of Language and Literature for more information.
- Fine Arts area must be different from area used in the university core curriculum requirement. BFA Musical Theatre students are not required to take the additional Fine Arts/Literature course.
Academic Major and Minor
The B.F.A. degree is designed primarily for students desiring to study in the area of art. Students may choose from two-dimensional, three-dimensional studio art emphasis, or Musical Theatre. Due to the composite nature of the degree, a minor is not required.
Electives will be needed to meet the upper-division graduation requirement.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Core - 33 hrs:
Musical Theatre Track - 39 hrs: