Shaw Music Professorship - Professor Ann B. Stutes, Dean
Professors Sandra Mosteller
Associate Professors Kimberly Brown, Richard Fountain, Brian Kuhnert, Joe Vandiver
Assistant Professors Hyung Chae, Anthony King, Scott Strovas
Emeritus Professor Earl W. Miller
School of Music Mission Statement
The Wayland Baptist University School of Music unites students with faculty mentors of Christian faith who are dedicated to the promotion of musical excellence and the cultivation of the whole individual. Offering professional and liberal arts degree programs, the School of Music provides educational experiences intended to challenge the mind, inspire the heart, and prepare the next generation of music professionals for the advancement of the art. Students work closely with a diverse and experienced teaching faculty of active performers, clinicians, published scholars, community directors, and commissioned composers who are steadfast in their commitment to the personal growth and professional success of every student.
The Bachelor of Arts in Music degree offers emphasis in general music, theory and composition, or church music and worship. The Bachelor of Music degrees include specializations in music education; and instrumental, keyboard, or vocal performance.
The School of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music and is a participating member of the Texas Music Educator’s Association, the Texas Association of Music Schools, Texas Music Educators Conference, the Texas Music Teachers Association, and the National and Texas Federation of Music Clubs. The School sponsors student chapters of the National Association for Music Education, the Society of Composers, Inc., and the Wayland Fellowship of Church Musicians. The Academy of Fine Arts, Wayland’s community arts outreach program, affords music students the opportunity to serve as private instructors, teaching assistants, and program coordinators.
Requirements for Major in Music (Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Arts Degrees):
All students desiring acceptance and admission into the School of Music degree program as a major or a minor must meet the following requirements:
- Successful admission into Wayland Baptist University.
- Completion of an audition revealing the possession of sufficient skills in one’s musical performance medium to be successful in university music study.
- Students may receive Probationary Acceptance. In this case, all requirements must be successfully completed no later than the end of the second semester of study in order to earn Full Acceptance into the music program as a major or minor.
No course grades below C or 70% will count in the major degree programs in the School of Music. This includes all classroom, ensemble, and private study courses. The degree programs affected are Bachelor of Music-Music Education, Bachelor of Music-Performance, and Bachelor of Arts-Music. If a student earns grades below 70% in any course required in the major, the student will be required to repeat that course until they receive 70% or higher.
Wayland School of Music Major Ensembles:
- Wayland International Choir
- Pioneer Marching Band
- Wayland Symphonic Band
- Wayland Singers Chorus
- Chamber Orchestra
- Music Education, Choral Music Education (grades EC-12), B.M.
- Music Education, Instrumental Music Education (grades EC-12), B.M.
- Music, Church Music and Worship, B.A.
- Music, General Music Specialization, B.A.
- Music, Instrumental Performance Specialization, B.M.
- Music, Keyboard Performance Specialization, B.M.
- Music, Minor
- Music, Music History, B.A.
- Music, Theory and Composition Specialization, B.A.
- Music, Vocal Performance Specialization, B.M.