Dec 03, 2022
Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
The Master of Divinity is the standard professional degree for individuals entering Christian ministry. For a variety of reasons, however, many individuals find themselves actively engaged in ministry and unable to relocate to a school providing the M.Div. The School of Christian Studies offers a Master of Divinity program that can be completed fully online or through a combination of face-to-face classes at one of Wayland’s many campuses.
The program prepares the student for effective ministry in the twenty-first century, whether serving in the church, on the mission field, in a denominational institution, or through a parachurch organization. The program seeks to prepare the entire person for service in the kingdom of God, by connecting the intellectual disciplines with practical training and spiritual development.
To help students be good stewards of their financial resources, the School of Christian Studies proudly offers an accelerated B.C.M. to M.Div. program for students who apply as undergraduates. The accelerated program can reduce the financial cost for the student by reducing the hours required to complete the two degrees.
The School of Christian Studies strives for the following competencies in graduates of the Master of Divinity:
- Students will demonstrate an internalization of Christian spirituality and the purpose and practice of spiritual disciplines that enable the Christian to increasingly conform to the Image of Christ.
- Students will demonstrate competence in the use of sound methods to analyze and interpret biblical material in order to apply and communicate the message in contemporary, contextualized settings.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to analyze critically and articulate clearly their own personal faith and the practice of their local congregation within the context of historic and global Christian beliefs and practices, particularly the Baptist tradition.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to compare and contrast the biblical worldview with competing historical and contemporary worldviews in order to communicate the gospel and enact its redemptive message effectively and persuasively within contemporary, contextualized settings.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of their personal call as servant leaders, guiding the local body of Christ to discern and join God in his work of building the kingdom.
Applicants for the Master of Divinity must have the following:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution
- 2.0 or better GPA on all undergraduate and graduate hours earned at the time of application.
- Letter of endorsement from a Christian congregation in which the applicant is actively involved.
- Two personal letters of recommendation.
Students in the Master of Divinity program may transfer a total of up to one-half the requirements for the Master of Divinity degree. Students with a completed master’s degree from another institution may transfer up to one-half of the completed degree. Students with a completed Master of Arts in Christian Ministry or Master of Arts in Theological Studies degree from Wayland Baptist University may transfer the entire degree subject to the transfer limit of one-half the total Master of Divinity degree requirements
Applicants to the Master of Divinity program who have a bachelor’s degree in religion, religious education, or other field within Christian ministry may be granted advanced standing for one or more portions of the core. Advanced standing is defined as a waiver to take advanced coursework in lieu of introductory coursework. For example, a student with upper-level baccalaureate work in Old Testament may be allowed to take an Old Testament elective in lieu of Old Testament Foundations.
Advanced coursework would be in the same field as the introductory course. Any request for transcript evaluation for advanced standing must be made in writing to the dean of the school.
Master of Divinity, Biblical Languages Track - 72-78 hours
Up to 6 hours may be waived for applicants who have relevant academic background in Christian studies, to reduce the total hours taken to a minimum of 72 hours.
Prerequisites - 6 hrs
Spiritual Formation - 10 hrs
Biblical Foundations - 21 hrs
Cultural Understanding - 12 hrs
Ministry Engagement - 14 hrs
African American Church Leadership Specialization
Wayland Baptist University affirms the significance of the institution known as the African American church and has committed itself to the preparation of church leaders with the knowledge and skills for effective ministry in and with the African American church. Wayland’s African American Church Leadership program seeks to broaden the student’s understanding of African American religious experiences as well as prepare for leadership in the African American church by exploring courses in pastoral care, pastoral leadership, urban ministry and an historical/theological understanding of the Black Church.
Graduates of the Master of Divinity with African American Church Leadership specialization gain skills necessary to 1) engage cultural exegesis; 2) provide pastoral care in the African American Church context; 3) provide pastoral leadership in the African American Church context; 4) bridge the historical and contemporary Black Church; 5) conduct research in and develop ministerial strategies for African American church leadership.
Students seeking a specialization in African American Church Leadership will complete the following courses:
Hispanic Church Leadership Specialization
Wayland Baptist University affirms the significance of the institution known as the Hispanic-Latinx church and has committed itself to the preparation of church leaders with the knowledge and skills for effective ministry in and with the Hispanic church. Wayland’s Hispanic Church Leadership program seeks to broaden the student’s understanding of Hispanic-Latinx religious experiences as well as prepare for leadership in the Hispanic-Latinx Church by exploring courses in pastoral care, pastoral leadership, urban ministry and an historical/theological understanding of the Hispanic-Latinx Church.
Graduates of the Master of Divinity with Hispanic Church Leadership specialization gain skills necessary to 1) engage cultural exegesis; 2) provide pastoral care in the Hispanic-Latinx Church context; 3) provide pastoral leadership in the Hispanic-Latinx Church context; 4) bridge the historical and contemporary Hispanic-Latinx Church; 5) conduct research in and develop ministerial strategies for Hispanic-Latinx church leadership.
Students seeking a specialization in Hispanic Church Leadership will complete the following courses: