University General Education Core Curriculum - 43 hrs
The University General Education Core Curriculum is applied to all degrees at Wayland Baptist University with the exception of the Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.), Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) and the Bachelor of Christian Ministry (B.C.M.) degrees. The full general education core curriculum for these degrees can be found in the degree specific general education core curriculum section.
Communications - 3 hrs from:
- COMS 1301 - Speech Communication 3 hrs , COMS 1303 - Professional Communication 3 hrs, COMS 2302 - Communication in the Classroom 3 hrs, or COMS 2303 - Public Speaking 3 hrs 1
English - 9 hrs:
- ENGL 1301 - Composition and Rhetoric 3 hrs 2, ENGL 1302 - Composition and Reading 3 hrs 2, and a literature course 3 hrs
Behavioral/Social Science - 3 hrs from:
- ECON 2307 - Principles of Macroeconomics 3 hrs 3, EDUC 2307 - Child and Adolescent Development 3 hrs4, GEOG 1301 - Introduction to Physical Geography 3 hrs, GEOG 1302 - World and Regional Geography 3 hrs, PHIL 1301 - Introduction to Philosophy 3 hrs, PSYC 1301 - General Psychology 3 hrs 5, or SOCI 1301 - Introduction to Sociology 3 hrs
Fine Arts6 - 3 hrs from:
- ART 1301 - Art Appreciation 3 hrs , ART 2301 - Visual Arts for the School Teacher 3 hrs, or studio course 3 hrs; MUSI 1301 - Fundamentals of Music 3 hrs, MUSI 1303 - Music Appreciation 3 hrs, MUSI 3304 - World Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3305 - American Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3306 - Jazz 3 hrs, MUSI 3307 - American Film Music 3 hrs, or performing ensemble 3 hrs; THEA 1303 - Introduction to Theatre 3 hrs or THEA 2307 - Acting I ; or FNAR 2401 - Fine Arts in the Elementary School
Mathematics - 3 hrs
- MATH 1304 - College Algebra 3 hrs or higher
Science - 4 hrs:
- Laboratory Science7, 11 (life science or physical science course)
History - 6 hours from:
- HIST 1303 - World Civilization to 1500 3 hrs and HIST 1304 - World Civilization since 1500 3 hrs; or HIST 2301 - United States History to 1877 3 hrs8 and HIST 2302 - United States History since 1877 3 hrs8
Religion - 6 hrs:
- RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1303 - Old Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs 9 and RLGN 1302 - New Testament History 3 hrs or RLGN 1304 - New Testament for Majors and Minors 3 hrs9
Political Science - 3 hrs:
- POLS 2301 - American Government 3 hrs
Exercise & Sport Science - 2 hrs:
- EXSS courses10
- UNIV 1100 - Foundations of University Life 1 hrs or UNIV 1101 - Foundations of University Life 1 hr
- GRAD 0001 - Senior Seminar 0 hrs
- COMS requirement may differ by degree. The B.S.N. specifies COMS 1301 or higher. Students pursuing teacher certification should take COMS 2302 .
- ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 should be taken within first year of enrollment.
- ECON 2307 cannot be used for students pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
- EDUC 2307 is required for teacher certification.
- PSYC 1301 is required for students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Fine Arts requirements for the B.S.N. specifies ART 1301 or higher or MUSI 1303 or higher. The B.M. and B.A. in Music degrees specifies ART 1301 , ART studio course, THEA 1303 , or THEA 2307 . The B.F.A. in Theatre specifies ART 1301 , ART 2301 , or studio art. The B.S.I.S. EC-6 degree can take FNAR 2401 .
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing students must take BIOL 3410 to meet this requirement.
- HIST 2301 and HIST 2302 are required for teacher certification.
- Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist institutions to meet the core requirement in any Wayland degree. If a student has taken RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History and/or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, at any institution except other Baptist institutions, then the student has two options to meet the core requirement: (1) take RLGN 1301 and/or RLGN 1302 at Wayland or (2) take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4316 , RLGN 4317 , or RLGN 4318 in lieu of RLGN 1301 ; and/or take RLGN 4306 , RLGN 4320 , RLGN 4322 , or RLGN 4324 in lieu of RLGN 1302 . RLGN 4306 may be an option for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 as stated above, but may not count for both on the same degree plan. No other RLGN/RLED courses may substitute for either RLGN 1301 or RLGN 1302 . The Dean of the School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy. RLGN 1301 - Old Testament History or RLGN 1302 - New Testament History , or their equivalents, taken at non-Baptist institutions, may be transferred as elective credit with approval of the Dean of the School of Religion and Philosophy and the Registrar. RLGN 1303 (OT maj/min) and RLGN 1304 (NT maj/min) are required for all Religion, Religious Education, or Intercultural Missions majors and minors to meet the requirement of RLGN 1301 and RLGN 1302 . This does not apply to B.C.M. or B.A.S. degrees.
- B.S. degree requires EXSS 1112 and one activity course. Courses that can be used to fulfill this requirement include a statement to that affect in the course description. Students who have served two or more years in the Armed Forces are exempt from EXSS requirements with DD-214 from basic training.
- Life science includes Biology and Environmental Science courses. Physical science includes Chemistry, Geology and Physics courses.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Specific General Education Core Course Requirements - 15-16 hrs
The Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.) is a minimum 124-semester hour degree. A minimum of 42 semester hours must be upper-level credit (courses numbered 3000 and above). Major and minor fields of study included in the degree also have upper-level requirements. As these may vary depending on the discipline selected, specific requirements are included in the subject field sections of the catalog. Because of the nature of the degree, it includes additional study in the fine arts and in foreign language. In addition to the University Core Curriculum, students must complete the following degree specific general education core requirements for the B.A. degree:
- COSC 2311 - Computer Applications 3 hrs 1, EDIT 2310 - Technology in the Classroom 3 hrs1, or MUSI 3302 - Music Technology 3 hrs1
- Science (life or physical science - whichever not fulfilled in the University Core)2 (3-4 hrs)
- Foreign Language 23013 and 2302 (6 hrs)
- Fine Arts4 (ART 1301 - Art Appreciation 3 hrs, ART 2301 - Visual Arts for the School Teacher 3 hrs, or studio course; MUSI 1301 - Fundamentals of Music 3 hrs, MUSI 1303 - Music Appreciation 3 hrs, MUSI 3304 - World Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3305 - American Music 3 hrs, MUSI 3306 - Jazz 3 hrs, MUSI 3307 - American Film Music 3 hrs or performing ensembles; THEA 1303 - Introduction to Theatre 3 hrs, or THEA 2307 - Acting I ) or ENGL 2301 - English Literature 3 hrs, ENGL 2302 - American Literature 3 hrs, or ENGL 2303 - World Literature 3 hrs
- Students may opt to test out of COSC 2311 ; see course description. Students pursuing music majors should take MUSI 3302 . Students pursuing fields in education should take EDIT 2310 .
- Science can be lab or non-lab for the degree specific core. Students pursuing middle school education are required to take the course with a lab. ENVS 3301 can be used to fulfill the life science degree specific core requirement. GEOG 1301 may be used to fulfill the physical science degree specific core requirement.
- Prerequisite of 1401 and/or 1402 (in a single language) may be required and used as electives toward the degree. Placement testing is available; contact the School of Language and Literature for more information.
- Fine Arts area must be different from area used in the University Core Curriculum requirement. Requirement waived for students pursuing a Music major.
Academic Major and Minor
The B.A. degree is designed primarily for students desiring to study in the arts, the humanities, or the social sciences. Major fields of study approved for the B.A. degree are listed in the Academic Program Profile table following the degree requirement section of the catalog. In the majority of instances, the major requires the completion of 30 semester hours. Specific semester-hours as well as course requirements are included in that section of the catalog dedicated to the discipline selected.
Students pursuing the B.A. degree must select a minor or second major from any discipline identified by the university as an approved minor or major field. The typical minor consists of 18 semester hours. Specific semester hours as well as course requirements for the majors and minors are included in that section of the catalog dedicated to the discipline selected. A complete list of minors is included in the Academic Program Profile.
Students may complete the minimum 124 semester hours required for the degree with courses which complement or extend career preparation or pursue subject fields which hold special appeal. However, before using elective semester hours, students should check with their advisor to ensure that the hours are indeed elective and that upper-level semester hour requirements for graduation are being met.
Intercultural Missions Course Requirements - 39 hrs:
*Six hours are part of the general education curriculum. A student who enrolls in the intercultural missions major must participate in at least one cross-cultural mission immersion trip through the Wayland Mission Center.
Bachelor of Arts - Intercultural Missions Recommended Sequence of Courses
Listed is the recommended rotation based on a B.A. degree program. For complete information on the general education and graduation requirements for the B.A. degree program, please refer to the undergraduate programs section of the catalog.
Freshman Year Fall Semester - 16 hrs
Freshman Year Spring Semester - 16 hrs
Sophomore Year Fall Semester - 16 hrs
Sophomore Year Spring Semester - 16 hrs
Junior Year Fall Semester - 16 hrs
Junior Year Spring Semester - 16 hrs
Senior Year Fall Semester - 15 hrs
- Advanced New Testament course 3 hrs
- Advanced Religion course 3 hrs
- Course in minor or elective 3 hrs
- Course in minor or elective 3 hrs
- Course in minor or elective 3 hrs
Senior Year Spring Semester - 13 hrs
Required for BGCT Ministerial Financial Assistance