Academic Catalog 2018-2019 
    Jul 22, 2024  
Academic Catalog 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Academic Policies and Procedures

The General Information section includes degree planning and academic advising; student enrollment in courses; transfer credit and advanced standing examinations; and academic probation and suspension status.
Course and Grade Information includes the course numbering system, syllabi, and types of courses; grade point average and grading systems; and the student grade appeal process.
Classroom Information section includes attendance, classroom disruption, and academic honesty policies.
The Graduation Requirements section includes Master’s and Doctoral graduation requirements; comprehensive exam and capstone course information; applying for degree, letters of completion, and commencement attendance policies.
Dr. Cindy Marlow McClenagan, Vice President of Academic Affairs
Amanda Stanton, Director of Graduate Studies

Programs Offered

The University offers degree programs that lead to the Doctor of Management,  Master of Arts in Counseling, Master of Arts in Criminal Justice, Master of Arts in English, the Master of Arts in History, the Master of Arts in Management, Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, Master of Arts in Religion, the Master of Business Administration, the Master of Christian Ministry, the Master of Divinity, the Master of Education, the Master of Public Administration, and the Master of Science in Nursing. Graduate programs operate within the framework of the University’s mission of integrating faith and learning. Each graduate degree program stresses the development of professional competence as well as the initiative, resourcefulness, and responsibility required of those who desire to become intellectual and professional leaders. Additional information and an application for admission is available at

Graduate Study

Essential to quality graduate study is careful selectivity in the admission of students. Selective entrance requirements help maintain the high standards which characterize graduate study and benefits the student who needs to determine the advisability of undertaking graduate work.

Since the programs, policies, statements, fees, and/or courses contained herein are subject to continuous review and evaluation, the University reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice. This publication is, therefore, not intended to produce a contract between the student and the University, but rather it is intended merely to supply to the student information available at the time of printing.

Graduate Faculty

All graduate courses are taught by graduate or adjunct graduate faculty. Graduate faculty members must meet qualification requirements as established by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The Graduate Council approves appointments to the graduate faculty annually.


The vice president of academic affairs administers the graduate studies program and chairs the Graduate Council. The Graduate Council is responsible for all policies and procedures related to the graduate program. The Graduate Council implements policies, determines admissions standards, hears student appeals and sets the graduate curricula.

Responsibilities of the Student

The graduate student accepts full responsibility for knowing and fulfilling all the general and specific regulations and requirements for admission to graduate standing and for completing the chosen program of study. For that reason, it is imperative that the incoming student be familiar with all graduate regulations contained in this catalog, thus enabling the student to complete requirements on schedule and in the manner required. The University and the Graduate Admissions Committee reserve the right to refuse admission or continuation to any student whose admission or continued enrollment is deemed to be undesirable.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are as follows:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access.

    Students should submit to the registrar, dean of students, external campus executive director/dean, school dean, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

    Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Wayland Baptist University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20202-5920.

Continuation in the Graduate Program

An applicant admitted to the Graduate School must enroll within one calendar year of admission. Thereafter, the applicant must reapply for admission. If one calendar year lapses between enrollments, the student will be classified inactive and must reapply for admission. In both cases, the applicant is not required to pay a second application fee.

To continue enrollment beyond the first term of attendance, the student must be admitted as a degree-seeking or non-degree student prior to the beginning of the next regular academic term of 10 weeks or more. Students who have incomplete files in the Graduate Studies Office due to lack of transcripts, or other required documentation will be placed on hold and will not be allowed to register for additional course work until requirements are satisfied.

Active Duty or Reservist Temporary Duty Assignment

Students  who are active duty service members or reservists who are temporarily reassigned during any term of enrollment have the option of 1) accepting a Military TDY refund; 2) requesting an incomplete for all or part of the courses enrolled and must follow the incomplete grade policy; or 3) continuing assigned work if enrolled in courses via WBUonline (virtual campus).  Service members are required to supply a copy of the order and a request for withdrawal or accommodation to the campus executive director/dean at branch campus locations or the university registrar for the Plainview campus. If the service member decides to withdraw from the university, he/she will not be required to reapply for admission unless the absence exceeds one calendar year.

Minimum Academic Standards for Students Receiving Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits

A student receiving VA educational benefits is subject to the same provisions for academic probation and suspension described in the academic probation and suspension section. A student who receives an F or fails to achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA at the end of the probationary period shall be reported to the VA as making unsatisfactory progress and may become ineligible to receive further VA benefits until the cumulative GPA is 3.0 or better.