Stevens Associate Professor Gene Whitfill, Dean
Professors James Antenen, Don Ashley, J.B. Boren, Robert Carpenter, Barbara Carr, Jo Beth DeSoto, Linda Hutcherson, Keri James, Don Knox, Michael Outlaw, Jerry Price, Tony Strange
Associate Professors Joseph Fikes, Richard Hendershot, Charles Huang, Tim Powers
Emeritus Professors Kent Brooks, Georgia Flanagan, Virginia Harris, Patricia Herman, June Hogue, Jim Todd
The Texas State Board for Educator Certification has assigned Wayland Baptist University teacher preparation program a rating of “Accredited” under the Accountability System for Educators Preparation Programs. Educator preparation programs are held accountable for the performance of teacher candidates on the statewide certification tests. Programs must achieve a minimum pass rate on the test by disaggregated subgroups to receive a rate of “Accredited.”
Master of Education
The Master of Education degree is designed to enhance the preparation and leadership of individuals both within the education profession and those seeking initial or professional teaching certification. The focus of the Master of Education is curriculum, instruction, and leadership. The degree program is a minimum of thirty-six (36) semester credit hours with a professional core and a professional specialization. The goals of the degree are the following:
- To promote and enhance the knowledge base and skills necessary for effective teaching, leadership, and professional development.
- To integrate theory with practice to enrich the quality of instruction and teaching and foster continuous improvement of the educational process.
- To develop skills for analyzing decision-making and action based on a thoughtful reflection on pertinent data and current research.
Three (3) unique tracks are available to students seeking the Master of Education. One track can lead to initial teacher certification - elementary, secondary, or special education. A second track can lead to professional certification - educational diagnostician, principal, or school counselor (*for individuals seeking school counselor certification, refer to Master of Arts in Counseling description located within the School of Behavioral and Social Sciences). The third track is designed for those individuals in teaching, instructional leadership, and human services seeking to enhance professional skills and abilities.
Admission Guidelines for the Teaching Certification Program
All students seeking admission to the Master of Education program must first seek admission to the University Graduate Program to include the following requirements:
- complete an application for admission to the graduate program
- pay the application fee
- submit official transcript(s)
- meet the entrance requirements set forth in the current catalog
- request admission status as degree-seeking, conditional degree-seeking, or non-degree seeking (see current catalog for more information)
Requirements and information for those seeking a graduate degree and/or post baccalaureate certification from Wayland Baptist University School of Education:
- A maximum of 12 semester hours of graduate study earned in a certification only, non-degree seeking category may be applied to a Wayland graduate degree.
- The Graduate Council must approve the application of non-degree seeking hours to a graduate degree.
- No grade below C in the area for which the student is seeking certification or in an education course required for certification.
- GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 for all education courses.
- No grade of less than C and no more than 4 semester hours with the letter grade of C earned at Wayland will be accepted as credit for any Master’s Degree.
- If for some reason a student elects to a change of degree status, the student may do so by filling out the appropriate application and meeting all the requirements for the degree he/she seeks. A student must meet the criteria for admission to the teaching certification program.
- Educational Administration, M.Ed.
- Educational Diagnostics, M.Ed.
- Master of Education with Elementary Education Certification
- Master of Education with Secondary Certification
- Post Graduate Educational Diagnostician’s Certificate
- Post-Graduate Principal’s Certificate
- Professional Studies, Education Literacy Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, English as a Second Language (ESL) Education Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, English Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Human Resources Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Instructional Technology Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Leadership Development Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Social Studies Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Special Education Specialization, M.Ed.
- Professional Studies, Sports Administration and Management Specialization, M.Ed.
- Secondary Post-Baccalaureate Certification
- Superintendent Certification